Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warrior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uelander
The Keeper

re: Prot Warrior 4.01

Prot Warrior - threat spec -(just guessing - but some of these talents look awesome)

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LhbMZZIrGdRRodbu:0Vo

or, if rage generation is an issue http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LZGbZIrGdRRodbu:0Vo gets Battle Trance and cruelty- which may be more efficient than the deep wounds spec. Additionally - this gets you the battle craze heals - so it may be a good all around spec for one spec tanks.

Prot Warrior - survivable spec

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LzZhZIfGdRRRdbu:0Vo

There are some significant self- healing abilities here. The optimal way to talent Field dressing v. blood craze is a guess - the buff to total heals may make it more beneficial to put 3 in FD and 1 in BC.
Uelander
The Keeper

We did 7 bosses in ICC 10 last night. I used this build for most of the night:

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LZZIfGdRRkdbu

Threat was good and overall tank damage was buffed from pre 4.01. The biggest difference is that I didnt feel like i could use heroic strike nearly as much as I'd have liked. Even when rage is pouring in - the 6 sec cd - often puts it in conflict with a higher threat ability like revenge, Shield slam or Conc blow. I may have my priorities messed up based upon the damage buff you get for HS with a full rage bar. I'll wait to see the wow-web stats, but if i didn't use it that much - the incite talents may be more useful elsewhere.

I tried a build with 3 points in Blood craze for the Festergut encounter - to see how the self-healing worked out. Seems pretty minimal - my recount had me at <200 hps. The stats will show for sure. I'll probably ignore that talent in the meantime.
Laanyan
Overseer

Well tanking ICC last night didn't really provide me with much insight (or incite, ba dum bum) into "fixing" Warrior tanking; or, more specifically, the rage and threat issues. I was reading up on things this morning and was shocked to see the stat priorities as "Stamina primarily. For ratings, Mastery > Parry >= Dodge". They suggest that Warriors reforge Dodge to Mastery as well. Sooooo more Mastery = more Block = more Rage = more Threat?

I would love it if it were that simple, but I was having Threat issues even when I didn't have Rage issues. The only way around it that I can think of is more AP. But, AP should be buffed significantly already (hello 46k Shield Slam) and I just don't see how a little more will make much difference.

I like that it's difficult and challenging. It shouldn't be a cake walk. However, I had DPS (aka Stratacaster) pulling mid-fight on bosses that allowed me to plant and concentrate on my highest threat rotation. Hopefully, they tune up the threat generation just a tad.

What is everyone else using as their maximum Threat rotation (single target)? Shield Slam > Revenge > HS/Cleave > Devastate > Thunderclap > Demo Shout

I was reading that Victory Rush was great threat; unfortunately, only usable at 20% or below (with at least one talent point in Impending Victory).
Uelander
The Keeper

Laan -i haven't seen threat issues on Uel - but im melee hit capped and usually raid at about 30 expertise. If you are < 26 - add that stat first - it is still (from what I read) the best threat stat available.

Initial thoughts on EJ was that stat priority was stam then dodge then mastery once your hit/exp were good to go. But I haven't seen anything new since we went live. They said parry was a reforge candidate -but if you do it - do it all because mastery gets better as you go. Maybe the increase in damage taken due to losing avoidance from dodge (greater vengance) is a net gain. I have a tuff time giving up survivability stats like dodge though - particularly since it is our only avoidance stat now that we lost def and parry avoidance.

Do you have 3 in shield specialization(rage generation)? Incite? If you pull with shield block up - your initial burst will be huge (buffed slam) and you will block several attacks = big rage (only if you have shield spec). Of course the cd on HS and the shared GCD of most of your attacks makes the initial aggro more difficult than pre-patch.

As far as the rotation goes don't forget TC - even single targets. It is an important de-buff - but beyond that the Thunderstruck talent buffs the damage/threat of Shockwave. With a couple of stacks - shockwave is an important attack as it cannot be parried or dodged. It hits for 15-20k. So when TS >2 SW becomes a higher priority than say- devastate. Also - when you need it the threat multiplier on Concussion Blow is apparently huge. I always have that on cd.

I've found that it took a little attention/practice for me to effectively dump rage and get the HS' in on GCD when rage was >60 or so. Im so pre-programmed to have that off GCD that i would tap it and go on to revenge or something and be at full rage for 2--3 GCD's. A full rage HS seems like it does a crap-ton of threat (technical warrior term) esp if you get a crit (incite!). I really had to slow myself down.
Laanyan
Overseer

Yes to most of that.

Initial pull has been charge, shield block, shield slam, shockwave assume the rotation (throwing rend in there as needed for the thunder what's it called thingy).

Hit is over the cap and I'm eatting expertise food to get over that cap (dunno where like 4 exp rating went).

I was only HSing when Rage > 60.

Did not know Conc Blow had a threat multiplier on it now.
Uelander
The Keeper

Sorry - i had the dodge and parry backwards. Parry procs Hold the line and Blood craze so the eggheads like it better than dodge - but not much better. I forget that total damage missed from a parry = a dodge - just over 2 swings. The latest Ive seen is to reforge both to mastery - keeping dodge and parry as equal as possible.

Of course that is for max mitigation - not anything about threat in there.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warrior All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: