Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warlock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Basic Gearing of the Locke . . .

Brissanna

Here are a couple key points to think about when gearing your lock.

A.. Enchanting
Enchanting with the best PVE enchants available will lead you to do the following:
-Head: Arcanum of Burning Mysteries(requires Kirin Tor revered-- level this rep first!!!)
-Shoulders: Greater Inscription of the Storm (requires Sons of Hodir exalted-- do your dailies!!!)
-Chest: Powerful Stats or Major Spirit
-Legs: Brilliant Spellthread
-Bracer: Superior Spellpower
-Cloak: Greater Speed or Lightweave (your choice)
-Gloves: Exceptional Spellpower
-Boots: Icewalker
-Rings: Greater Spellpower
-Weapon: Mighty Spellpower
-Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle. Adds a gem slot to any belt.

B..Gemming
When gemming your gear, you will want to use gems that provide you with the "prime" stats: spell power, crit, haste, hit, or spirit. A common thing to look at is socket bonuses. When gearing your PVE warlock, do not go for socket bonuses that are not the "prime" stats, such as stamina. For example, if the socket bonus is +4 stamina, there is no need to get the socket bonus, unless the gem color choices happen to work out that way.

Gear sets and the merits of their set bonuses
C.. Plagueheart
The Plagueheart 2 piece bonus is fantastic. It greatly increases the crit rate of your main nukes, and the proc has no cooldown. It procs off dot ticks, and just about every damaging spell we have. It could make certain dots worth casting when you otherwise might not cast them with certain specs. The 4 piece bonus is not a necessity, but it's basically a temporary spell power increase whenever you lifetap. It does NOT make lifetap worth adding into a rotation solely for the purpose of the spell power increase.

D..Meta gems
Chaotic Skyflare Diamond is the best choice for all Demonology and Destruction warlocks. For Affliction Bracing Earthsiege Diamond and Ember Skyflare Diamond are the best choices. Chaotic Skyflare Diamond should be avoided as affliction.

E..Glyphs
The glyphs you choose will be determined by your spec. However, to start, pretty much no matter what spec you are, you will have glyph of Immolate. That's a must for ANY raiding spec. The rest of the glyphs break down as follows:

Glyph of Immolate: All builds!
Glyph of Imp: Affliction or destro or hybrid using imp
Glyph of Felguard: Any spec using a felguard.
Glyph of siphon life: Affliction must have.
Glyph of corruption: Affliction ONLY if you're using the felhunter! Also can be used by other specs, depending.
Glyph of Curse of Agony: Used by heavy destruction if your shadowbolt's do more than 5000 damage on average. (hits and crits combined)
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Arvestes

Nice post Briss thanks! I have to take a closer look at my reps. Right now just trying to rep for the red drake haha, but ya I need to work on the first two you mentioned more.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Brissanna

Ive studied the lock for along time.....played with many different specs....and I truely like Demon. With that said....Locks, no matter what spec....still focus on the same Stats in the same order.
1. Hit...cap HIT asap..if you cant hit your target..then your DPS means nothing. Pretty simple.
2. Spell Dmg. Simply put. More spell you have,,more dmg you will put out.
3. Haste/Crit... Many will argue this all day long. ppl want max DPS fast...well...the more spells you can cast..the more dps you will have. Haste is your friend. Crit is nice..we all like to see the 15k crit hit. However...again....if you cant hit your target....you cant crit. clap

I'll try and keep this updated, when my RL slows down some.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Turalon

[quote author=Brissanna link=topic=434.msg3510#msg3510 date=1235721951]
. However...again....if you cant hit your target....you cant crit. clap

I'll try and keep this updated, when my RL slows down some.
[/quote]

This is a myth in PvE... In PvE we use a single roll style to see if we miss/hit/crit etc.. so all hit does is move miss down off the table.. you still have the exact same chance to crit, just a larger window to ensure you hit with base damage...

PvP however is a two roll system so that saying is correct.. you need to first roll to see if you hit the target, then roll again to see if you crit....
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Mareb

[quote author=Brissanna link=topic=434.msg3510#msg3510 date=1235721951]
Ive studied the lock for along time.....
1. Hit...cap HIT asap..if you cant hit your target..then your DPS means nothing. Pretty simple.
[/quote]
clap
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Belgarion

[quote author=Turalon link=topic=434.msg3516#msg3516 date=1235743851]

This is a myth in PvE... In PvE we use a single roll style to see if we miss/hit/crit etc.. so all hit does is move miss down off the table.. you still have the exact same chance to crit, just a larger window to ensure you hit with base damage...

[/quote]

Lol, I'm sure I'm missing something here. How exactly do you crit a miss? Because if the answer is 'Duh, you didn't miss' then we're back to Who's on first, heh.

Belgarion
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Turalon

ok what your missing is that it isn't the two roll system where you need to hit and then need to crit... its a 1 roll system so you either hit or crit as long as your hit capped. where as PvP system of.. I need to first see if i hit and then see if i crit...

maybe its just semantics, but you dont "need to hit to crit" you either hit, crit or miss...not hit or miss.... then crit
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Brissanna

Here is the most common Stat order for warlocks...reasons why are listed below.

A. Hit
B. Spell Power
C. Critical Strike
D. Haste
E. Spell Penetration
F. Sta + Int
G. Spirit

A. Hit
The need for hit is a commonly discussed theme for warlocks. No matter the spec, hit is often the highest "weighted" stat. Meaning that per point, you get the most dps increase in return with hit (until cap). What this means, is that you're going to want to try and cap your hit early on. However, and I cannot stress this enough, do NOT make foolish sacrifices to obtain it!! Don't pass on 50 spell power for 20 hit! Also, note that you will only see "hit rating" on gear. We now refer to spell hit as just "hit". There is no longer a difference between melee hit rating on gear and spell hit rating on gear. There is only "hit rating" on gear now.

1% spell hit is equivalent to 26.23 hit rating.

The hit cap is as follows for a ?? or level 83 boss:

* 17% = 446 spell hit rating (rounded up)
* 14% = 368 spell hit rating (this assumes +3% from talents OR raid buffs)
* 13% (alliance only) = 341 spell hit rating (this assumes +3% from talents OR raid buffs, and +1% from draenei racial)
* 11% = 289 spell hit rating (this assumes +3% from talents AND +3% from raid buffs)
* 10% (alliance only) = 263 spell hit rating (this assumes +3% from talents AND +3% from raid buffs AND +1% from draenei racial)

B. Spell Power
This is among the next important stat for warlocks, especially for Affliction. This is largely a result of the fact that, for an Affliction lock, DoTs receive a much larger bonus from +damage than other spells. Spell damage benefits your spells based upon their cast time. Some spells get more damage for every 1 spell power, some get less.

C. Critical Strike
Critical Strike and Haste are 2 stats that are often compared to each other. Generally, haste is better per point, mainly due to the fact that it takes less haste rating for 1% haste than critical strike does for 1% crit. However, that doesn't mean crit should be ignored. Once again, note that there is no longer a spell crit or melee crit. You will only see critical strike rating on gear.

1% crit is equivalent to 45.91 critical strike rating.

D. Haste
Haste affects the "casting speed" of your spells. Or, in the case of instants, it reduces the Global Cooldown. Haste is a decent dps stat after spell power and crit. All specs, even affliction, will see a good amount of benefit from haste. For more on this, see our Gear Selection part of the guide. Once again, note that there is no longer spell haste or melee haste. You will only see haste rating on gear.

1% haste is equivalent to 32.79 haste rating.

E. Spell penetration
This stat ultimately serves no purpose for a PVE warlock, and should not be used or geared for.

F. Sta + Int
There is really no reason to gear for these stats specifically unless you're creating a set of warlock tanking gear for a fight such as Kael'Thas or Illidan. These stats will improve as needed as you gear up through normal raiding. In other words, the gear you obtain while raiding will have the appropriate amount of these stats to prepare you for the next level of content.

F. Spirit
Spirit is a new important stat for warlocks, due to the changes introduced in Wrath of the Lich King. There are 2 main reasons for this. First, Lifetap scales with spirit now. Specifically, you gain (300% spirit + 1490) mana, at the cost of (300% spirit +1490) health. We also gain benefit from spirit for our Fel Armor. Specifically, we gain spell power equivalent to 30% of our spirit. (So if you have 100 spirit, you get another 30 spell power when using Fel Armor)

Final Note: The bottom line with stats is that each stat's value is wholly dependent upon what the rating is of all the other stats. A common misconception is for people to say, for example, "oh, at XXXX spell damage, haste is better than crit". This simply isn't true. If you have 1400 damage, for example, and 0 crit, haste is not worth more per point than crit. While this is extreme, it illustrates the point quite clearly. The value of a stat is dependent upon the whole of all your stats.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warlock All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: