View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: How to Priest at 80?

Laanyan

So I dinged 80 and was looking through all my gear and what kind of gear dungeons were dropping. I'm trying to sort through everything in order to put together my Holy set and DPS set.

So far it seems like Blizzard is pushing haste gear like it's fish about to turn at a restaurant.

For Holy, haste looks to be hugly important. I haven't run any 80 dungeons with a "real" tank, just a DK so far. I certainly could have used a ton more haste to more easily keep a DK up. My heals were in the neighborhood of 8-8.5k greater heal, 4k flash heal, 1400 renew, 4k prayer of mending. I'm only at 179 haste rating (5.45%), but when 8k heals every 2.3 seconds aren't doing the job... something's off. I have no idea what the new "target" is for spellpower. I'm at 1603 with self buff and food buff. I'll report back after I've run something with a "real" tank.

For Shadow, haste seems less important. It doesn't help our dots out at all... other than reducing the GCD after our instant casts. My DPS set focuses on hit then crit then haste. I think technically it is more important than crit; it affects the same spells crit does, but also affects the GCD and cast time on Vampiric Touch. That said, for raid instances, you'll want crit up to around 25% (raid buffed). That should keep spirit tap trigger most of the time. After that, I would dump as much into haste as possible. Obviously getting hit maxed (289 if my math is correct) comes first. We technically get 6% hit from Shadow Focus and Misery.

Misery was changed, for those that don't know. It's now a debuff that increases spell damage done by 15% of the priest's spellpower and increases spell hit by 3%. Considering 3% is almost 100 hit rating... that's huge.

In conclusion, as far as I can tell so far the things to look for are:
Holy: Get all the haste you can without sacrificing too much on stats and spellpower. I might even go for a straight spell power set and a haste set.
Shadow: Get 289 hit rating, get about 20% crit, work in haste.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Laanyan

I've geared up quickly via normal dungeons and reputation vendors. I only have 1 badge piece so far and no Holy gear from heroics. Still have yet to replace my T4 helm tongue

I've run a bunch of heroics with 4 member of Crimson Death. The tank has 24k hps, 536 defense, 22k armor. The DPSers are 1500-2k. Healing tanks in pre-naxx gear (or close enough) makes haste much less of priority. Crimson Death is in Naxx, so I bugged them for some insights. They said DPS plays a much more prominant role. You have to have good tanks, healers, and DPS. Gone are the days of a good combination of two and getting by.

Below are the stats I feel is a good balance from I've been able to pick up from normal dungeons, quest chains, and reputation vendors. I have enough alternate gear to swapp in 150 haste or 5% crit by sacrificing some spell power and a lot of spirit.

Holy:
1675 spell power
200 haste
13% crit (holy)
650 stamina
850 intellect
600 spirit

Shadow: This is my best guess.
1450 spell power
300 hit
150 haste
15% crit
650 stamina
800 intellect
300 spirit
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Priest All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: