Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Death Knight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: New Spec for DK Tanking

Laanyan

Well I decided to try out my DK again and see what happened. I forced myself to wade through the piles of cow chips and found a fair number of people deciding that the following is "the new tanking spec". I found plenty of people sticking by their standard frost spec of old. But looking at the abilities you gain from this spec, I think it's far superior.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=00553004003003100000000000000050000000000000000000000000205230332000015233001203100100&glyph=200422010405&version=9835
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Loranus

I can see how people will find this spec superior to Frost spec because of flashy abilities. Thats right Flashy Abilities tongue. My only main issue with it is the including of Improved Unholy Presence. To me the Movement buff isn't going to be useful so much when tanking bosses unless your kiting them and even then you kinda will be moving faster than your DPS so they will suffer from movement speeds. Bone shield great solid ability but 6 hit reduction at 20% just doesn't cut it for me compare to the extra 6 secs of Icebound fortitude you get at 40% reduction of all attacks(considering your Def cap and if your not why are you tanking confused) Also Unbreakable armor with its increased strength and absorbing of a set amount makes it a really nice ability in both boss and mob conditions. Tanking mobs they dont hit that hard so having the absorbing factor most times Im not taking damage from mobs while its up. And against bosses not only will it reduce the damage but I receive increased parry. Also frigid dreadplate increases your avoidance by a complete 3% without diminishing returns.

Now it does have some great abilities that set it apart and make it superior in other situations. Anti-magic zone is a very nice possible raid wide protection against magic type attacks. It also has spell deflection which will prevent a lot of direct damage magic spells to him. And also with the increase of a possible 9% (Im not sure if they directly stack or not so this may be off) increase in strength increases the parry rating by quite possibly a great deal but also increases AP which boosts damage and spells allowing greater threat generation and holding. Mark of Blood a good ability I call it good because of the long cooldown you can use it once or twice a fight and won't be saving you from dire situations. It will keep you up longer will help your healers out and also help the raid out if someone gets smacked with another type of attack from the boss healing them. But when your low on health and stuff I think you might want to go with Rune tap instead of Mark of blood just from the reduced cooldown allowing you to gain 30% every 3 minutes to the possible 80% you could recover in a set 20 secs and have nothing for 3 minutes and only when you get hit.

Frost Superior in physical type fights I believe with good mitigation. Unholy superior in magic type fights and an increase in DPS it would seem over frost.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Laanyan

Duh, tanks would be in frost presence. I saw the rune refresh, and thought "ooooo", but not being in that presence means it's useless. I don't really see a good home for those two points; Necrosis or Desecration would be good, even On a Pale Horse would be useful in some situations.

I'm just thinking of alternate specs since you've been complaining about aggro. You are easy to keep up, provided both healers aren't incapacitated in some way. This spec sacrifices a little mitigation, which, in my opinion, you can afford to lose, for aggro.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Loranus

My problem and I realized what it is when I was looking at it. Is I haven't fully been using a good rotation. Before 3.1 i used to use DnD-IT-PS-Pest-FS-HB-Pest. Which did really well but since the talent movements the changes I should be doing. DND-BB-HB-RS. I have not been using the rune strike ability enough in my rotation and my only threat issue has been with Tyluv when hes in bear whos designed to hold aggro tongue. Other times its because Im a big nub and stay in unholy presence.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Rildasomia

Well a few times (not a lot, but maybe 3 times) I had Omen screaming at me for aggro passing (I have my warning at 100% so I still have the 20 or 30% range cushion), but that hadn't been happening before.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Turalon

Lor.. serious question, have you thought about trying

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=6&tal=00553205303033132000231313500050000000000000000000000000005230000000000000000000000000

as a spec? using glyph of vampiric blood, Dark Death and Icebound Fortitude as majors and Raise dead, Horn of Winter and Blood Tap as minors?

might be cool to test out if other DKs are seeing better results than Frost? may be worth a respec to check, worst case you find you hate it and it costs 50g.. but who knows you may love it and find it offers some different benefits?
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Death Knight All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: