View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uelander
The Keeper

re: Critique

Ok - so I posted a vid of Strat in the Prof fight the other night and here is where I see some significant room for improvement for my mage-play:

1) I didn't always clip my cast to get out of the green stuff when i was targeted (phase 3). I think it hit me twice and I clipped my cast for the first but not the second. I would move immediately after the cast, but took a tick or two of damage to avoid the dps loss of moving mid-cast. i was just trying to kill the jerk.... oh well.

I don't know if this is a big deal or not. In regular modes of these encounters - this kind of stuff is pretty forgiving - but I'm sure if we ever work on heroics - this is a no-no. I'm going to try to develop better habits with regard to this.

Lots of folks got nailed by Mailable Goo in this run. You need to see that attack and move - even if u clip to do it. The de-buff stinks. I got hit once in an earlier attempt - and it wont happen again hehe.

What do others do? Will you accept a little damage taken for a little damage done?

2) I don't use the Presence of Mind ability as well as I should. I was popping it to get a quick blast on experiments - but it is really useful to help with #1 above. I can get a quick blast and refresh my stacks after moving - minimizing the DPS impact. I'm thinking i may bind a macro to ALT+the blast key that gives me a PoM/Blast so it is more reflexive and I use it this way more often.

3) Positioning could be better. I needed to move to get to experiments too often. This caused stacks to drop and/or procs to clear before i could unload on the target. I know exactly where/when they are going to spawn - this should be smooth as silk. I also wasn't getting clear enough from the ooze in Phase 3 - causing me to move more often than I could have had i been a little more thoughtful about it.

4) Mana management - I needed an evocate in Phase 3 (shame) on an earlier attempt. That didn't happen this run - but I need to be thinking ahead and juicing up prior to the teargas at the end of Phase 2. On that subject- i dont see a heroism buff timer (shows how long it will last). Id like to be able to use the end of it for evocate if possible -but need to change something in my UI to do so. Ideas?

5) Rotation management. I don't think this was that bad - but i always see situations where i should have barraged or blasted instead of whichever i did. I think I just need more time on this toon to be very good at that.

Did you see anything else that could be helpful?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG13chabDVc
Laanyan
Overseer

1) Malleable Goo is always a nono. I might as well go melee Prof when I'm silly and get hit with it; cast times go to poop. As for getting out of green floor stuff... Laan returns a lot of health to himself, so I worry a lot less about incidental damage like that. Other than Shadow Priests, Warlocks, and DKs... clipping is probably the way to go. Healers cannot (reliably) throw you heals during phase 3 and a dead DPS = 0 DPS; living is your most important role at that point in the fight.

2) I would vote to Blink out of stuff and you should be OK to not lose your stacks (depending on haste). That would free up PoM for getting experiments down ASAP. That said, if your raid's DPS is high enough... save it for not losing your stacks.

3) Bad bad evil wicked naughty Zoot, I mean Stratacaster. The oozes build up quickly and spell casters without quick casting stuff are going to take a huge hit in DPS. Laan does well enough, but that's mostly DoTs.

4 / 5) Like you say, more time to commit things to muscle memory will reduce negative things from these two concerns.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

Haven't watched the vid yet, but on your heroism knowledge request, shouldn't it already be showing in your DotTimer/Cooldown addon message? If not, you can flag it to do so. It's nice knowing how much Heroism you have left to play with, heh.

Belgarion
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Mage All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: