Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warlock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rildasomia
Protector

re: Just when you thought it was safe to play a warlock...

Warlocks using a lower rank of Life Tap will receive a reduced benefit from their shadow spell power

Must have become competitive again so it was time to find the bat. Now your healers will hate you.

they've actually been saying that downranking any spells will start to have negative results from a while back.

I believe this is a push for Cata when you cannot downrank at all.
Chaoswarp
Protector

This has no pure value. If a warlock hasn't burned through enough mana 30 seconds into a fight to warrant a rank 8 life tap he hasn't been working hard enough. With Lifetap recently scaling far better than before I can now un talented turn 2k health into 3k mana 2k out of 20 when a health stone can restore 4k and a potion does between 3.7 and 4.5. Also what is shadow spell power to me? I'm destro/demo

Rildasomia
Protector

Yeah, the shadow part kinda threw me for a loop, but I figure it was just in the warlock nerf generating macro and they never bothered to change it.
Probably just a typo.

I juust always liked to start with a life tap on the charge in, that way your dots are set at the higher SP rate on the initial landing. Dropping 2k health before anything happens is just annoying.

And to Turalon, I do agree that down ranked spells should give less, but it's not the mana or health that is the issue (those are down ranked) it's the proc that's triggered. The proc is "if you cast life tap, you get X spell power". I can see where they are coming from, but triggered healing boosts (for a shaman) are able to be triggered by big heals and little heals and the triggered part is the same (think trinkets), which is all this basically is, just an extra trinket.

do you really get that much more from a downranked lifetap cast at the start though?
Chaoswarp
Protector

The proc is static. Spellpower increased by 20% of spirit or something along those lines. The thing is with T10 not having spirit GoLT isn't even mandatory at a point

Rildasomia
Protector

Before this change this is how it would go:
Cast Life Tap 1 = lose 20 health, get 30 mana (even though mana is full), get 300 Spell power (rough numbers based on 20% of spirit)
or you could cast Life Tap 8 = lose 2000 health, get 3000 mana (mana is full atm), get 300 Spell power
So casting LT1 or LT8 procced the 20% of spirit to spell power. The first change that went through was that it was no longer using spirit, but spell power. So instead getting 20% of spirit as spell power, we would get 5% of spell power as spell power (equivalent boost to spell power) for like 20 seconds. The reason to use LT1 at the pull is to get the boost for the first rounds of DoTs without hitting yourself for 10-15% of your health (you SP affects how much health gets eaten so 2k is just an average number) as the healers are on the move and focusing instants on the tank during positioning. After the first pull or when mana was high or health low you would use the down ranked one to keep your SP up without annoying the healers or putting in range of an AE wipe.

Now the casting of LT is not what gives you the SP boost, it just triggers a proc like trinkets (which don't care what rank of spell you cast to get the stacking bonus of SP) from a glyph. So a healer can spam Lesser Healing Wave before a fight to get their trinket procs maxed out, either as rank 9 or rank 1 and the trinket procs. For Tetra you will notice me spamming Riptides on full health people before the pull because I need to get my SP boost stacked up, but there it doesn't matter what rank I use, it is what it is.

Now once the fight is in full swing, warlocks usually use the full LT rank 8, they burn through mana like crazy by design, so then it is not usually an issue, but why is it ok for healers to trigger procs with down rank but not warlocks, even though trinkets don't care?

As for how much you get at the start. All DoT damage is based on your stats when you first cast the spell, this is what cause Haste stacking and rolling corruption to be such an issue (basically you could cast corruption when at the haste cap, from trinkets potions and heroism, and then just keep it refreshed and it held those initial conditions throughout the rest of the fight, was like a 3k DPS boost. So kind of OP). Now it is your stats when it is cast or refreshed, so that 300SP is a big deal.

gotcha, its that static 300 buff that threw me off, figured that was tied to the rank of the spell too. Figured it was already less with a downranked and they were just making it more less, not static to reduced...
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warlock All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: