Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Death Knight
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loranus
Loranus
Assassin

re: DK Tanking Discussion of 3.3

Yet again another patch and another discussion on where Tanking is with DKs and whether its worth it to change specs or not.

With the new Rune of Nerubian Carapace the one handed version of the Rune of the Stoneskin gargoyle granting 13 defense and a 1% stamina increase we see the definite Possibility of DW tanking come into play. What better way for you to hit Def Cap than to throw the rune on the offhand than throw a different rune say like Crusader or Swordbreaking on the main-hand.

My outlook: I can see people trying it I can say I don't think its gonna work out unless you have the Expertise to support it as well as the hit. The best way to go this spec is in the Frost tree which has 2 talents built around DWing, an additional base 5 expertise, and will give you the more Mitigation and avoidance than you see in some of the other trees.

Blood tree another tree that always gets talked about due to the high health levels and self healing abilities inside the tree.

My Outlook: With the loss of so much avoidance but the sight of smaller hitting attacks we will see the focus shifting even more to effective Health. Though with the Higher health you gain You lose the options of an extra 2% damage mitigation and 3% miss chance from the frost tree. Will this balance out with the increased Healing seen from Death Strike with the higher health and Vampiric blood. Only time will tell.

The unholy tree everyone says it I dont believe it. This trees 2-3 tanking abilities are on different sides of the spectrum for me. Magic Supression is a direct mitigation of Spell Damage by 6% which may not seem like much but Magical Spells are not affected by armor what so ever so having a talent to reduce it is great and the bonus of increasing our Anti-magic Shell absorbing 25% more spell damage is awesome. The bad part of this is it effects only magic attacks and walking into TOC and now Icecrown we have seen an increase in Physical damage so I don't see this ability coming into play. Anti-Magic Zone is probably one of those spells that Have such great potential if other people werent idiots. Protecting a large group of people with a bubble protecting them from a magic Ability like Lightning Nova is awesome and can increase damage output without heavy damage. Problem is coordination and with a lot of fights trying to be spaced out to avoid easy damage this ability doesn't get much use. Bone Shield great great ability with a large amount of Suck on the side. Its an ability as an Unholy DK you want up as much as possible and Reducing the damage of any attack by 20% is great. Problem is the cooldown on this is 1 minute and sad to say your going to be taking more than 3-4 attacks in one minute against any type of creature so this ability is gonna be popped and gone at any time it might really matter.

Frost Tree is my personal Favorite tree so im kinda biased in some cases but oh well. Frost has more tanking Talents than any other tree and I like it. Hungering Cold is a definite plus in some cases when im tanking adds because I can just freeze them in place and run away getting some extra heals or position myself better and even if they are immune and AOE effect of putting frost fever which reduces their attack speed is a definite plus. Unbreakable armor give a ton more armor and Strength which becomes both Avoidance and Threat so it has a lot of good situations to use it in. Improved Frost Presence an additional 2% damage mitigation and extra health in other presences is a definite plus. Frigid Dreadplate which grants 3% miss chance base addition. This also is the only tree with an extension on Icebound fortitude by 6 seconds which is 6 seconds of at least 35% (for Def cap) damage reduction and immunity to stuns.
MTuralon
Assassin

If you are going to try DW tanking, I'd suggest using both defensive enchants on your weapons. Since you'll be running into that parry haste issue with the boss, you'll want your avoidance increased. They've already mentioned they are reducing the bosses attack damage, so if you can avoid most of the hits, you have enough health to suck up a few hasted attacks.

Plus DW tanking just LOOKS cool.
Loranus
Loranus
Assassin

Well Swordbreaking gives you 2% parry and a 50% reduced disarm the New one hand enchant gives you 13 defense and 1% stamina which should stack with itself on the enchant so I would be seeing it as putting the 2% parry on one of your tanking swords and the Def rune on the other one for the stamina buff and to hit def cap. Most likely until I can get some of the Tanking weapons from Icecrown Ill be using 2 Peacekeeper Blades with an expertise gem in one and a stamina one in the other giving me about 150 stamina with extra avoidance from both weapons.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Death Knight All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: