Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warrior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: AE Threat Generation

Laanyan

I sometimes have problems generating threat on AE pulls. Any suggestions? Or do I just need more (or different) gear/experience tanking? Is there a stat that I should increase that helps?

I charge in (or heroic throw)
I immediately Thunderclap (I have the minor glyph for the 2 extra yards)
While I'm waiting for them to group up, I throw on shield block
As soon as the mobs are grouped up I hit them with shockwave
I end with demoralising shout
Then I start in with tab targeting and using devastates and cleaves
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Turalon

here's what my buddy at work does.

Charge primary target
Thunderclap
Position mobs
Shockwave
Shield Slam and/or Revenge primary target
Shield Block when Shockwave wears off
Switch to secondary target
Shield Slam
tab-cleave-shield slam on the targets, TC and Shockwave whenever they come off cooldown
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: GSX

Your pulling idea is right on, however, devestate no longer generates enough threat to tab-target aggro with it. Both SA and Dev have been nerfed. Concussion blow, revenge, HS, and Shield slam all have higher threat values. You should have sword and board specced, hit your first target with a shield slam, and tab target. use devestate (glyphed to stack SA on another nearby target) until Shield slam is available again, then use it and tab target again. TC and SW to be used when they come off cd no matter what target you are on. Also, HS isn't on the gcd so you can Q it and Dev at the same time.

Typing it out makes it seem like it would take forever to do, but sword and board should be proccing more often than you can actually use it.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Laanyan

Ahhh, I think my problem was relying too heavily on Dev (with the glyph to stack SA on another target). Have you tried the glyph that applies 2 stacks? Just wondering if that would make the difference over rage-free HS after a Revenge.... not like I have rage issues in dungeons.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Harleyrider

Wow. I'm glad I read this post. I was under the impression Devastate generated a lot of threat. I've been relying heavily on stacking Sunder armors. Thanks for the info.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: GSX

Dev used to be the highest threat generating tool we had, then 3.0 came out and it was nerfed since all of our other abilites have been buffed.
Several posts on tankspots recommend the glyph that does 2 sunders because it gets the debuffs up quicker, I just prefer putting a sunder on the mob next to the one im tanking to help with the ae situation. I always assume the dps is going to start attacking anything other than my target, so that gives me some comfort. clap
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Rildasomia

[quote author=Garkrona link=topic=535.msg3308#msg3308 date=1235197098] I always assume the dps is going to start attacking anything other than my target, so that gives me some comfort. clap
[/quote]

You mean were not supposed to just:
Nuke - Tab - Nuke - Tab - Nuke - Tab -
Huh?
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Uelander

When pulling - instead of just charging the primary target, Heroic Throw at a second target (down the kill list) then charge the primary target. It gives you an extra attack you wouldn't otherwise get. HT has a nice threat bonus and gives you a little more than just the TC/ SW threat on a mob you wont be tabbing to for a minute. It can help you stay ahead of the average aoe/ healer threat and might make life easier. I wrote a simple macro to make this pretty much happen instantly- if you're interested ill be happy to share it.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Arvestes

[quote author=Uelander link=topic=535.msg3964#msg3964 date=1236978615]
I wrote a simple macro to make this pretty much happen instantly- if you're interested ill be happy to share it.
[/quote]

Plz do clap I know my tank is not there yet but can hopefully make good use of it, once I can finally get her to 80. Plus, I'm sure any other warrior tanks would love to see it too.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Uelander

/cast Heroic Throw
/targetlasttarget
/cast Charge(Rank3)

Use whatever ranged ability you want in place of HT if you dont have it and use the right rank of charge for your toon. This wont work if you don't have warbringer in your talents- your warrior wont charge once youre in combat without it. You'd need to charge first in that case.

Target the primary - then target the secondary target and hit the macro. It will automatically throw at your target and charge the mob targeted prior (which was your primary mob).

Maybe a little messy -but this way you can control which two mobs are attacked and avoid breaking CC if applicable.

One more thing, you've got to be sure you are in range of both mobs for their respective attacks. Sounds obvious, but one more thing to think about.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

thanks!

Gotta give that a try once I hit 80 (or maybe even earlier so I can get used to it). For now I just go with charging in on the first ff and then TC, shockwave, shieldslam, start the tabbing process. For multi-tanking purposes.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

So tried out that macro Uel, and gotta say, I love it! roflrun

Took me a few pulls to get used to it, but man does it make things easier, specially warrior multi-tanking. Still gotta work on my def but hoping to get me some heroics down.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Warrior All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: