View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Hunter Macros

Mareb

There are endless macros a hunter can use to maximize his DPS and efficacy in a raid. I'm going to discuss a few that should be used and some that are helpful in certain situations.

Misdirect shots

/target tank
/cast Misdirection
/assist tank

This has to be one of the most important macros to use. I made it on the fly one day to simplify MDing in Karazhan but now it's crucial for 25 mans. I keep a macro for each of our tanks when we're raiding. I have all macros up on my screen somewhere the entire raid. Now for an example:

/target GSX
/cast Misdirection
/assist GSX

Of course in the original macro, replace tank by the tank's name. I have my MD target on my hot bar and use it frequently. On bosses, it should be used every time it's up - whether it's on your assigned tank, or another if his/her threat is too low. On trash I use it initially and typically not again unless a mob has gone way astray and is one shotting other raid members. It's important to save it for the next pull. One thing that must be realized is that this macro is going to target your tank's target. So if he has a random mob selected that isn't his target, you will have to adjust for that and select the correct one.

3:2 shot rotation

#showtooltip Steady Shot
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/cast !Auto Shot
/castrandom [target=pettarget,exists] Kill Command
/cast Steady Shot
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

This macro has blown my DPS out of the water. This is a non-traditional rotation because it relies on several different factors to be efficient (one being latency). One good thing about the macro is it allows you to use weapon speeds not optimized for BM hunters (eg Sunfury Bow) and still pump out the L337 dps we're known for (or at least should be). You can read more on the mechanics of it here. There are some downfalls to using this macro. It drains mana fairly quickly. So, fel mana potions need to be used as often as your mana drops. Careful - don't fall into the trap of depending on Aspect of the Viper. That drops our DPS significantly. I only use that as a last resort. Mana should not be dropping that low on boss fights. But all in all, this is a great macro

1:1 shot rotation

#showtooltip Steady Shot
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
/castsequence reset=3 Steady Shot, Auto Shot
/cast [exists,target=pettarget] Kill Command
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear(); UIErrorsFrame:Show()

I highly recommend trying the 3:2 before resorting to this one, but here it is. Test and find what works for you.

Cast Hunter's Mark and pet attack

/dismount
/cast Hunter's Mark
/petattack

This is great for me; I use it every time my pet is going in. It should be obvious what it does - it marks the mob and sends your pet in. Sometimes you can clip the actual Hunter's Mark being cast if you're doing something else while sending pet in, so watch the mob's debuff to see if it was successful. Also, if you rely on this all the time, you may cast it repeatedly or on unnecessary mobs (therefore wasting mana). There are simple things you can do to avoid this. For example, use ctrl+1 (or whatever your key is) to manually send pet in.

Feel free to remove /dismount. I have that for when I'm soloing or PVPing. It helps to run in and attack the mob quickly.

Feed pet

/cast Feed Pet
/cast Clefthoof Ribs

This is simple and straightforward but it saves space on my screen by compressing two buttons into one.

Specific instances:

Karazhan

Curator for the Astral Flares:

/cleartarget
/target Astral Flare
/stopmacro [nodead, harm]
/target The Curator

Illhoof for the Demon Chains:

/target demon chains
/petattack

Zul'Aman

Halazzi for the corrupted spawn:

/target corrupted

Magister's Terrace

Vexallus for Pure Energy spawns. Note, you can use this to have your pet absorb the first THREE waves of spawns - just keep your pet alive. It's more complicated; ask me if you want more of an explanation of what else you should do since this post focuses mostly on macros.

/target Pure Energy
/petattack

Okay, feel free to post your own - what works for you, what you think of these, etc.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Bhaltair

Bhaltair's response
#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus,help][help][target=pet,exists,nodead] Misdirection

Is what I use for MD. I also use a small mod called SimpleMD which shows my cooldown and the other hunter's cooldowns as well. It can be set to announce when you have MD available and also when it wears off. I prefer to have the tank I am assigned to as my /focus. If you have to change the person you are MDing to you have to clear your focus. I have a button that does that so having to change on the fly has never been an issue for me.

I'm actually a big fan of the /assist focus macro. On the occasion that I play Thyrsus I use my assist button constantly to keep my pet up in the front attacking and not running back to me after the primary target goes down.

If you want to be all fancy you can go with:

#showtooltip
/focus [help]
/script SendChatMessage ("You are now my FOCUS target","WHISPER",nil,UnitName("target"))
/stopmacro [help]
/y ~~Misdirecting on %f~~
/cast [target=focus,exists] Misdirection

This one you just click the tank you are MDing to. You can click any tank any time to change the focus. Having the tanks pulled out as a seperate raid bar would make changing your focus all the easier.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Mareb

BM = raiding at this point. MM is far inferior in regards to DPS. That's mainly the arena spec nowadays. Marksmen have kill command, but it is less effective against boss mobs. Without the BM talent [spell=34454]Animal Handler[/spell], you pet is far more likely to miss his kill command (~9% miss on raid mobs). Considering kill command is a significant portion of hunter DPS, that's a reason for marks to fall behind BM when it comes to overall damage.

Here are 2 macros I found for marks specs. You can give them a shot (ha).

Fights with CC:
#showtooltip Steady Shot
/castsequence reset=3 steady shot, !auto shot
/cast [exists,target=pettarget] kill command
/cast arcane shot

Fights without CC:
#showtooltip Steady Shot
/castsequence reset=3 steady shot, !auto shot
/cast [exists,target=pettarget] kill command
/castrandom Arcane Shot, Multi Shot
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Genshin

No worries Mareb Happy The only other question I have is that is my pet supposed to automatically use kill command on its own cause I didnt notice it doing it yet.. I still have to mess around with it a lil more but otherwise that macro seems to be doing its job Happy Also if I wanted to add /petattack into that macro 1: Would it be ok to use that macro in the raids.. and 2: where would I be able to stick that command in the macro so it doesnt interupt with the shot rotation?
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

With that macro, yeah it should be doing it on it's own - when you score a critical hit.

You can try adding /petattack somewhere in there, but I'm not exactly sure where. I'm not entirely familiar with the nuances of macro creation. My guess is that it will interfere. Go see Dr. Boom and get his opinion. Happy As for using it in a raid, think about it. Do you send your pet in every time you shoot? What about the mobs that spin their fancy swords around and hit melee for 4k each swing (eg first mobs in TK or 1st phase in the Zul'jin boss fight)? That's an instance where you must quickly pull your pet out until that attack is over. If your shots are constantly sending him in, that would be a problem. Also think about any situations where your pet does not need to be in, but you need to pew pew. That could be problematic.

Perhaps you could try using a macro modifier. For example, have the macro be the normal pew pew, and then the modifier be it sends the pet in. A modifier means you modify the macro to have two parts essentially. In this case, say you use [modifier:alt] so that the modifier is /petattack. When you hold alt and press the macro, only then will it send the pet in. Search around to figure out exactly how it works.

This is just an idea off the top of my head, completely uneducated and mostly inefficient. Maybe you could try adding /castsequence reset=# (might could use /cast reset=#). For example, try /cast reset=15 petattack. From what I gather, what the reset does is not cast that spell (petattack) until the 15 seconds is up. So, it will cast it once, and then only again if 15 secs have expired (so you're not constantly sending him in. It is something similar to that at least. Someone who knows please come along and elaborate or correct me on that. To solve this problem of sending my pet in, I have the /petattack as a part of the macro for casting Hunter's Mark. In nearly every situation of switching my pet to another mob, I also need to cast hunter's mark. (Although there are times it's a waste of mana, so I manually send him in.)

Hope this helps.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

Another thing, if anyone noticed... I added to the 3:2 macro.

#showtooltip Steady Shot
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/cast !Auto Shot
/castrandom [target=pettarget,exists] Kill Command
/cast Steady Shot
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

Those cancel out that annoying sound that constantly pops when you spam the macro. Very nice.
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

re: Genshin

Thanks Mareb! Forgive my lapse of stupidity lol. Sometimes I cant think any further ahead then the imidiate usefullness of a macro to send my pet in PvE lol. I think the only reason I actually asked that question was because someone had brought it up for use in pve and or arena in guild chat the other night.. And since I wasnt the clear best person to ask on the subject I figured I'd ask you. Happy And I just found out why my pet wasnt using his kill command lol.. I guess unless the very first autoshot crits its not going to use the kill command until I use the macro the second time big grin Thus if you are fighting things way lower then yourself as I have in testing these macros out.. Your pet most likely will not use its kill command unless you are fighting something that requires at least 2-3 uses of the macro lol. I hope my lack of brains will help anyone else who tests out these macros and doesnt see their pet using kill command. big grin
Belgarion.
Guild Leader

[spell=34026]Kill Command[/spell]

You should be spamming the macro to get the full effect of the shot rotations and kill command. And yeah, a lower level mob isn't the best to test them. Go see Dr. Boom (http://thottbot.com/c20284) like I mentioned earlier. He's a higher level mob you can repeatedly hit without worrying about killing him.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guardians of Knowledge Forum Index -> Hunter All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: